Overwrite file on upload

ja_blackburn

Hello. i am building a facility for members of my website to upload profile pictures.

It works, but what I want to do is have the below script check and overwrite the previous file if they want to update it. As you will see it enforces the image to be named after the username.

function findexts ($filename) { $filename = strtolower($filename) ;
        $exts = split("[/\\.]", $filename) ; $n = count($exts)-1; $exts = $exts[$n]; return $exts;
        }
        $ext = findexts ($_FILES['uploaded']['name']);

//$ran = rand () ;
        $ran2 = $eo_user_name."."; 
        $target = "../images/eoprofile/"; //This assigns the subdirectory you want to save into... make sure it exists!
        $target = $target . $ran2.$ext;  //This combines the directory, the random file name, and the extension

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['uploaded']['tmp_name'], $target)) {
             echo "The file has been uploaded as ".$ran2.$ext; }
             else { echo "Sorry, there was a problem uploading your file."; }

Help appreciated.

Thanks...

My problem is that the script used to initially upload a member's profile picture is the same one that is used to update it (e.g. upload  a new one).

so the filename on the server will be essentially 'username.jpg' and what the script tries to do is re-upload 'username.jpg' and it doesn't work.

Is there some logic I can include to the effect of:

if (username.jpg already exists){

replace it

}else{

just upload as normal

}

???

Thanks

Also when uploading a file. make sure the file exstention, is correct and not a .exe and others.

Always only let registred users upload files only.

Your be amazed, off hacks for files.

There even talk images, with code written on top of the image, to do spitefull things... seen no example yet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.