Suggestions on how to achieve my goal.

xn1

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on a problem.

I have a very basic web page containing three section, the header, the content and the footer in that order. What I would like is the header and footer always on the page and only the content section change by means of links in a navigation bar. I've looked into iframes, php include, javascript and something called Ajax and must say I'm all a bit confused by it all.

Which would be most advisable and how would I excecute it.

My pages are as follows.

Home page is.

index.php

Pages I would like to show in the content Div.

about.php

contact.php

home.php

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help.

In ASP.NET there is a concept called Masterpage where this can be solved easily. But in php, you have to break it up in this way: header.php, footer.php, left_section.php and right_section.php.

In your left_section.php keep the navigation bar.

Now in each page, include header.php, left_section.php and footer.php and in the right_section.php keep changing the content. I think this can best be tackled if you use a css style. There are many open source css style available in internet. A little bit goggling will come to your help.

Best of luck.

Sanjib's suggestion makes sense until he starts talking about CSS files.  CSS has nothing to do with this.

PHP Includes are the way to go for this.  Make your header.php that prints out the titlebar, navigation, etc.  Make your footer.php that prints out the footer, copyright, and any necessary footer code like tracking pixels or whatever.

Then, every page on your site looks like this:

<?php

include("header.php");

//page contents

include("footer.php");

If you require a database connection, make it in header.php.  If you have functions that are required on every page, require them in header.php, etc.

Header and footer can also be page-aware.  The various $_SERVER variables like the request string and the page name are set by the user's REQUEST.  If they visit your "aboutUs.php", then the request URI will be "aboutUs.php" even inside header.php, so you can highlight the page they're on in the navigation menu and everything.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.