Special characters error

jkadin

Sorry, but this is a copy/paste from another site, thought it would be helpful here.     

Support Request Template

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.7-PL1

What is your board's URL? http://asersmia.com/twenty-thirteen

Who do you host your board with? webhostingpad.com

How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host

Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install

Do you have any MODs installed? Yes

Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes

What MODs do you have installed? profile comments

blogs

mchat

What styles do you currently have installed? dark grunge/custom/prosilver

What language(s) is your board currently using? english

Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5

What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB

What username can be used to view this issue? n/a

What password can be used to view this issue? n/a

When did your problem begin? Just a few days ago. My hosting provider will not do squat about it, even though I did nothing to the database to cause this issue.

Please describe your problem. it is a problem that has suddenly developed in the mysql database. I have several members that have previously registered with a " ' " (apostrophe special symbol) in their name. No problem for nearly a YEAR till just a few days ago, when the server was being sluggish yet again ( NOTE: DO NOT HOST WITH WEBHOSTINGPAD.COM as this is not an isolated incident with their server messing up a database). Now, people who have registered names cannot log in, they get a 404 not found error. Additionally, I cannot change their name to something without a ' in it through ACP, I get the same error... 404. I have to go into the DB to change it there and then I can pull up their name. And finally, when someone tries to register with a ' in their name like O'Brady, for instance, it will throw the same error. Has anyone seen this, and if so, how can it be resolved?

Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4778 $)

Here it is again, hope this helps:

I have a problem that has suddenly developed in the mysql database. I have several members that have previously registered with a " ' " (apostrophe special symbol) in their name. No problem for nearly a YEAR till just a few days ago, when the server was being sluggish yet again ( NOTE: DO NOT HOST WITH WEBHOSTINGPAD.COM as this is not an isolated incident with their server messing up a database... I had a bunch of standard accounts suddenly turned to MODERATORS when their server flipped out last time).

Now, people who have registered names with the special character apostrophe (Like "O'Malley" or something like that) cannot log in, they get a 404 not found error. Additionally, I cannot change their name to something without a ' in it through ACP, I get the same error... 404. I have to go into the DB to change it there and then I can pull up their name. And finally, when someone tries to register with a ' in their name like O'Brady, for instance, it will throw the same error.

Has anyone seen this, and if so, how can it be resolved if at all?

I am viewing through PHP Admin.

You will have to forgive me. I am just a beginner.

There are no backslashes when I go in and look at the tables in PHP MyAdmin.

And I will look in the php.ini file, but I am not sure where that is located. Will have a look around and let you know.

First, let's find out if magic quotes is on or not. Create a new script and in it put the following code, then upload it and browse to its url.

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Then find the magic quotes values in the list of values it returns, and post those values (should be three different magic_quotes_* value sets).

Ok I don't know what particular scripts they are. But it's not only limited to new users.

It's all users with ' in their user name that try to log in and get the error.

And now I have one user, across all of her accounts that when she tries to make a post in a thread using any special characters at all, and it throws the same message.

I do not know how to find scripts on the server, and what scripts do what.

OK maybe that was a stupid question.

I mean, I can attempt to puzzle out what exactly a 'script' is. is it the .php files themselves or the tables that I see in phpmyadmin.

If someone could kindly point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I think I can work things out, and try to post some 'scripts' for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.