Insert part of an SQL value

PhilipK

I am trying to build a news feed which shows the first 100 characters of news copy. I have it working to paste in the full text but am not sure how to insert only the first 100 characters.

<?php
	while($news_row=mysql_fetch_array($news)) {
	echo "
                <div class=\"news_box\">
                <h3><a href=\"html/news.html\" rel=\"shadowbox; width=800; height=400;\">".$news_row['news_title']."</a> </h3>
                 ".$news_row['news_copy']."
                 </div>";
}
?>

Seems to be what I need but I can't get it to work.

Here is my SQL query

<?php 
$news = mysql_query("SELECT news_title, CONCAT( SUBSTR(news_copy, 100), ' . . . ' ) FROM tbl_news ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 0, 3");
?>

news_title shows up but no news_copy

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't seem to get it right.

<?php
$news = mysql_query("SELECT news_title, CONCAT( SUBSTR(news_copy, 100), ' . . . ' ) as news_copy FROM tbl_news ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 0, 3");
?>

Now I get news_copy concatenated with ... but the text isn't cut down to 100 characters.

For some reason, SUBSTR() or SUBSTRING() don't work for me either. But LEFT() does:

<?php
$news = mysql_query("SELECT news_title, CONCAT( LEFT(news_copy, 100), ' . . . ' ) as news_copy FROM tbl_news ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 0, 3");
?>

Note:

The second argument for SUBSTR() is the start position; the third arguement is the string length. So to get the first 100 characters, you'll need to change it to SUBSTR(news_copy, 0, 100)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-functions.html#function_substr

But as mentioned earlier, I wasn't able to get SUBSTR() to work. Note that SUBSTR(news_copy, 100) does work for me, but it cuts off the first 100 characters and leaves the rest.

Ok, I was able to get SUBSTR() and SUBSTRING() to work.

<?php
$news = mysql_query("SELECT news_title, CONCAT( SUBSTR(news_copy, 1, 100), ' . . . ' ) as news_copy FROM tbl_news ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 0, 3");
?>

The problem was that the functions consider 1 to be the first character and not 0.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.