Pull value from array w/ key variable function not working

barocky82

Hi Guys,

I'm a PHP newbie and I'm having some trouble creating a function that I can call where I can perform a MYSQL SELECT querey which returns an associative array, and be able to pull a value from that array and return it to the call. My code is below. Everything seems to work up until where I try to set the $average variable. If I return $row instead of $round_val, I see me array as "Array ( [user_id] => 64 [AVG(twos_made)] => 5.0000 )" It seems as though my my functions arugment (twos_made - which is my $column_name var) is not getting passed through or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

function avg_of($column_name) {
  global $connect_db; 
  $query = "SELECT user_id, AVG($column_name) FROM table GROUP BY user_id";
  $result = mysql_query($query, $connect_db);
  $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result); 
  $average = $row['AVG($column_name)'];
  $round_val =  round($average, 1); 
  return $round_val;

}

Thanks for the the quick response, Ken! Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick either. Here is what my code looks like now per your request:

function avg_of($column_name) {
	global $connect_db;	
	$query = "SELECT user_id, AVG($column_name)as my_avg FROM table GROUP BY user_id";
	$result = mysql_query($query, $connect_db);
	$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result); 
	$average = $row[' my_avg'];
	$round_val =  round($average, 1);	
	return $row;

I'm not getting a zero as the average when it should be '5'. If I return $row instead of $round_val, I get "Array ( [user_id] => 64 [my_avg] => 5.0000 )". For some reason it doesn't seem like the extraction of the 'my_avg' key from the $row array is working. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again for you help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.