Database design with MVC framework

johnmerlino

Hey all,

I'm using mvc framework, where I use controllers for all my main views, such as home page, about us page, contact, etc. However, all the views contain something in common: the ability to create post, update post, delete post, edit post. So I use one model to handle this corresponding to one table called posts. This table contains all the content of the site. Now on different views, I want to render specific posts that relate to views. Currently my index method for all the controllers call the same find method:

public static function find($param){
		$self = get_instance(); 
		if($param === '*' || $param === 'all'){
			$resources = $self->db->get('posts'); //but I can't do self::db - because db is not a static property of the Home class, which is what self is pointing to.
				return $resources->result(); //result() returns the query result as an array of objects whereas result_array() returns the query result as a pure array.
		}
		return null;
	}

With this find method, all of my views will render all of the posts. So I am wondering should I create another field in the database called page_id, which corresponds to a controller. So when the user invokes index method of home controller, I pass in an additional parameter like '1' and query the database to select all records where the page_id is equal to 1. Is this effective or is there a better approach to restrict posts that display in a content management system?

Thanks for response.

Your posts model should be sophisticated enough that you can pass a parameter that is the equivalent of adding a  WHERE clause to it that limits the result set to just the universe of posts for that section.  This seems like a database design question.

Each controller would pass the applicable constant.  There is no value in my opinion to trying to make something generic there.  You have to write a controller and passing the appropriate "posttype" is not going to change once you've written the controller.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.