Text Field -> Time -> Calculation

HarryMW

Ok so I basically have two textfields and a submit button.

The first text field basically allows the user to input a duration of an event in the format of Hours:Minutes:Seconds such as: 02:30:00 is two and a half hours.

The second textfield allows the user to put in an average time 'something' does something in the same format as above. So for example 00:20:00 is 20 minutes.

1st Textfield:

<input name="tmarrtextfield" type="text" class="textbox" id="tmarrtextfield" value="00:00:00">

2nd Textfield:

<input name="tmatttextfield" type="text" class="textbox" id="tmatttextfield" value="00:00:00">

What I need is for when the form is submitted to the same page.. the code to...:

1. Convert the normal text info into actual time data.

2. Divide the duration by the average timing so for example: 02:30:00 (150 minutes) / 00:20:00 (20 minutes) = 7.5 (Would return a rounded down number or up, doesn't matter) then store the number as a variable that will be echoed later.

Harry.

for 2nd

<?php
function my_sec($a){
    $a = explode(':', $a);
    $out = $a[0];
    for($i=1;$i<count($a);$i++){
        $out *= 60;
        $out += $a[$i];
    }
    return $out;
}
$time1 = '02:30:00';
$time2 = '30:00';
echo my_sec($time1) / my_sec($time2);
?>

Thank you Crayon, I did knock up my own script before reading the submition by sasa which worked. ;)

Sasa... That works brilliantly. What would I need to add to the script to finalise it slightly.

As currently you just have a count of the overall amount of movements, I would like to add another count but of movements possible per hour. How can I achieve this?

If I try 02:30:00 and 00:30:00 I get an answer of 2.5 - Not sure how I can iron that lil problem out there as well you should get 2 movements an hour.

Also when I put the:

$hourresult = my_sec($time1) / 3600;

Under the rest of the code, it messes up the original full count and only shows the per hour.

I would edit but I cant so I will have to re-post in accordance to what you said sasa.

Here is the code in full including the last bit for the movements per hour:

// TIME FUNCTION FOR THE ARRIVALS
function my_sec($a){
    $a = explode(':', $a);
    $out = $a[0];
    for($i=1;$i<count($a);$i++){
        $out *= 60;
        $out += $a[$i];
    }
    return $out;
}
$time1 = $_POST['tmarrtextfield'];
$time2 = $_POST['tmatttextfield'];
$numberresult = my_sec($time1) / my_sec($time2);
$hourresult = my_sec($time1) / 3600;

Problem: If for example I put in 30 minutes and click the button it will come up with an answer of 3 for moves per hour, which is impossible.

Or.

If I put in 20 minutes and try to get the moves per hour I get a return of 2, which is incorrect too...  :confused:

Harry.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.