Is this a suitable preg_match for checking an email?

jamesjmann

preg_match("/^[a-zA-Z] [a-zA-Z0-9]{8, 13} [\_]{1, 1} \@ [a-zA-Z0-9]{1, 15} \. [a-zA-Z]{2, 4}$/", $string);

Basically what I want it to check to see is that the email starts with one lowercase or uppercase letter. Then make sure the email contains only a-zA-Z0-9 characters than can span up to 13 chars long. And that a hyphen may be used if necessary, but is not required. Then of course make sure there is an "@" sign. The rest is to make sure that the domain name is only consisted of a-zA-Z0-9 characters that may be up to 15 characters long. Also, require a period right after, and then the TLD, which I would imagine the largest is only 4 characters long.

Is that what the above does? If not, can someone guide me in the right direction and help correct any errors, if applicable?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.