Such thing as too long of a query?

3raser

I keep getting this error, because people can track their support tickets by using a MD5 encrypted code upon submitting, and I'm wondering if maybe it's too long?

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'by FROM replies WHERE replyto = 'c8c3455c5efadc80b05316c412ab61e6' ORDER BY id D' at line 1

Query:

$replies = mysql_query("SELECT message,by FROM replies WHERE replyto = '$id' ORDER BY id DESC") or die(mysql_error());

No, that query is NOT too long.

A little description of your table/database structure would help me to explain this to you.

SELECT message,by FROM replies WHERE replyto = '$id' ORDER BY id DESC

Also, BY is a reserved keyword (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/reserved-words.html), so to use it, you should rename it to something else.

You could also try putting it in backticks like this:

SELECT message, `by` FROM replies WHERE replyto = '$id' ORDER BY id DESC

Post back if you need more help, or if this worked for you.

--

techdude

As a best practice, you should rename your `by` column, since it is a reserved word.  Using backticks to mark it as a column only works with mysql, so if you were to port to another db it won't work.

Thanks for the tip, will do. ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.