Input box not registering value

Tuk

I have a form where members on my site can update their display name among other things. However, my script is returning the error for if nothing was inputted in the display name input box (members must provide a display name, can't leave that box blank) even though my text input box definitely has a value.

The section of my form with the input box:

<tr>
<td class='sidebardark' width=40%><b>Display Name</td>
<td class='D' width=60%><input type=text name=newdisplayname class='inputtext' value="<? echo $currentname;?>"></td>
</tr>

And the section in my form-submitted script that has the error that's displaying:

$newdisplay = strip_tags(mysql_real_escape_string($POST['newdisplayname']));
if ($newdisplay == "" || !isset($POST['newdisplayname'])){
errorbox("You must set a display name!");
}

Normally I'd think it was a typo on my part but I honestly can't see anything wrong with it. The current display name is showing up just fine in the input box.

I asked it to echo $newdisplay above the error box and it echoed nothing so I have to assume it's not passing the variable correctly for some reason.

Edit: If it matters, I haven't had any issues with text input boxes on this particular site before. Only this specific one.

Don't bump threads without providing additional, relevant information.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, the typo is that $POST doesn't exist unless you've defined it yourself. The superglobal array is $_POST. Also, HTML tag attribute values need be quoted to be valid markup, BTW.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.