storing "dynamic" values in MySQL?

henricar

Hey guys, I'm new here so hello... but I'll get right to the point:

I have a table named POSTS, where I store user posts. In this table, I have a row named "Popularity". Now I would like the value of "Popularity" to be a function of the number of Likes, Dislikes, Views and Date posted, all of which are stored in respective tables (linked by Primary and Secondary keys).

I was wondering if it actually is possible to have the value of "Popularity" adjust automatically when a change in "Likes", "Dislikes" or "Views" occurs. And if not, what alternatives I have.

The ultimate reason I need to have this value stored in a table and up to date is that I wish to sort posts by "Popularity".

Many thanks !!!

There is no better way, and also nothing like learning a new skill.  Otherwise this will take multiple queries, and cause your pages to slow down.

In the off hand that you want to go with a slower route, you could write separate queries for the likes, dislikes, views, and date_posted tables to run after you insert query finishes.

If you wish to create triggers, it is a simple as running this in phpMyAdmin, or similar software.

CREATE TRIGGER likes AFTER INSERT ON likes FOR EACH ROW UPDATE `POSTS` SET Popularity = Popularity + 1;
CREATE TRIGGER dislikes AFTER INSERT ON dislikes FOR EACH ROW UPDATE `POSTS` SET Popularity = Popularity - 1;

ETC, until you have everything calculating how you want.  This way, all you have to worry about in the script, is inserting the data to the respective tables.

seem to have run into a little problem though :/... the algorithm for popularity is P = (20*likes -20*dislikes + views)/(today's date - date posted). Is it possible to make this work? like have a trigger occur daily to calculate the difference between today's date and the date posted?

So, now your trigger will look something like:

DELIMITER ;;
CREATE TRIGGER dislikes 
AFTER INSERT ON Dislikes
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
DECLARE disliked INTEGER;
DECLARE liked INTEGER;
DECLARE date INTEGER;

SELECT COUNT(*) INTO disliked FROM dislike WHERE linked_key = 'NEW.linked_key';
SELECT COUNT(*) INTO liked FROM likes WHERE linked_key = 'NEW.linked_key';
SELECT DATEDIFF(NOW(),date_posted) INTO date FROM date_posted WHERE linked_key = 'NEW.linked_key';

UPDATE POSTS SET Popularity = ((20*liked)-(20*disliked))/date WHERE linked_key = 'NEW.linked_key';

END;;
DELIMITER;

I could help you more, but I would need some table structures.  I have no clue what columns link the tables together.

like I understand the code you previously posted but it still we be updating "popularity" only when a post get liked, viewed or disliked. I still need to popularity to fluctuate on a dailay basis given the spread between current date and date posted is growing by the day. any solution to this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.