Like facebook news feed

adamlacombe

I was wondering what approach you would take to code a news feed like Facebook has.

I have a status, users,  and photo mysql tables. Would you create a new table called "feed" and have a query run everytime someone updates, inserts, etc anything in those three tables? or something else?

What would be the most efficient way to code a news feed?

Thanks in advanced!

I was wondering what approach you would take to code a news feed like Facebook has.

I have a status, users,  and photo mysql tables. Would you create a new table called "feed" and have a query run everytime someone updates, inserts, etc anything in those three tables? or something else?

What would be the most efficient way to code a news feed?

Thanks in advanced!

I think you've answered your own question in your question lol.

You could use a query when a user updates a status, inserts, etc.

You could code the news feed in PHP but to allow auto refreshing:

You could also use some AJAX to auto refresh user pages  :P

Well thanks you for the reply, kadeous.

and no you're right, tomfmason, I don't have any code..... yet :P oh and I only bumped it once btw.

Do you think using JOIN would work for combining the three tables? I am no good at JOINs... I looked at some tutorials but still a little confusing.

So I think JOIN would do better because I dont want to select three different tables in three different querys and then fetch them in an array. If I did that things wouldn't be organized by date, it would be organized  by what query got fetched first.. correct?

and no you're right, tomfmason, I don't have any code..... yet :P oh and I only bumped it once btw.

You bumped twice.

Do you think using JOIN would work for combining the three tables? I am no good at JOINs... I looked at some tutorials but still a little confusing.  So I think JOIN would do better because I dont want to select three different tables in three different querys and then fetch them in an array. If I did that things wouldn't be organized by date, it would be organized  by what query got fetched first.. correct?

Correct, you would want to use a join.  Google some examples and give it a shot.

I did? huh okay...

Hmmm I just went over it all in my head again... would I want to structure it like that you think? Or as I said before just anytime someone posts or updates content it gets inserted into a table called "feed" then I could select all of it from there.. I think thats a better idea, what do you think?

Sorry if I am just babbling along.. just trying to organize my thoughts, the adderall is wearing off lol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.