restricting access to a test after certian number of attemps

webguync

Here is my situation. I have an exam application built in Flash, where after the taker is finished and submits their scores a record is created in MySQL in a log table. Basically there is a column called attempt which is populated with a 1 after they have successfully finished the exam. When this column has a 1, the user is locked out and cannot access the exam when they try and login. The Flash part was built a while back in AS3 and is very cumbersome to try and figure out and make changes, so I have been trying to improve some things on the PHP/MySQL end. What I have now is a php based login which uses if else statements to determine if a user has passed and if they have not uses a DELETE statement to delete their log record and thus they regain access to taking the exam. Code below.

<?php

if(($pcnt[$i]*100) > 89)
   {
      echo "<span class='green'>you did great!</span>";
   }
   else
   {
     $query_delete = "DELETE FROM log_March2011
USING log_March2011 INNER JOIN roster_March2011
WHERE log_March2011.user_id =roster_March2011.user_id
AND roster_March2011.user_id = '{$_SESSION['user_id']}'"; 
//echo $query_delete; //for debugging test
$result_delete = mysql_query($query_delete) or trigger_error('Query failed: ' .mysql_error());
//$num = mysql_affected_rows($db);
if ($result_delete)
{
echo "<span class='red'>Please review missed questions/sections below</span><br />You can now retake the exam";
}// end if
else
{
echo "No record of taking exam";
} //end else
   }
?>

what I would like to do to improve the application is to be able to implement a set number of attempts allowed before the user is disallowed to take the exam again, but not sure how to implement this or is even possible?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.