Splitting sign-up form over several pages

stubarny1

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to increase my website’s sign up rate by splitting the rather long sign-up form into 3 short forms spread over 3 pages – the user would then fills out each form and progresses to the next (like the linkedin.com sign up process).

Please could you tell me how I should store the variables as my users move from one form to the next, whilst avoiding any hacking vulnerabilities? – I thought of using session variables but someone told me to never store passwords in a session variable? (one of the form fields is for a user to fill in a password).

Thanks for any help you can give!

Stu

The session is fine... as far as I know anyway.

The only potential problem comes if you use shared hosting, because they often use a shared tmp folder so other people can view your users session data.

An alternative way would be to insert the info into the database bit by bit, but that will be a bit dodgy if they give up after step 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.