checking user input in time range

yousamook

Hey guys and gals!

This is my first post here and needing a bit of help with my php code! So here is the deal, i have 3 tables in ms sql 2000 which i will be using on this project.

i have an employee table that has the regular information such as:

TABLE employee( uniqueid, employee_number, lastname, firstname, dob, address, city, state, zip )

TABLE employee_docs( uniqueid, employee_number, doc_type int, date_received, date_issued, date_expired )

TABLE doc_type(uniqueid, description, valid_month)

so basically from the employee_doc table, the doc_type column is an int and will have the description of the document as well as valid month column which will tell you how long the document type is valid until. the Description gives a brief description of what the product is. The uniqueid is used as what ever number is chose from the employee_docs table will represent the document type from table doc_type.

ok so now that i gave a brief explanation of the tables i am working with, I can tell you what i need.

i need a php page that will display:

employee number, lastname, firstname, doc_type, date_received, date_issued, date_expired.

select	pn.empnum as employeeid, (pn.lastname + ', ' +  pn.firstname)as [Full Name],
dt.description as doc_type,
formatDate(pd.received) as [Date Received],
formatDate(pd.expired)as [Date Expired],
formatDate(pd.issued) as [Date In Service] 

from	personnel_document pd
left join document_types dt on (dt.uniqueid = pd.doc_type)
left join personnel pn on (pd.empnum = pn.empnum)

where	pd.empnum = '$EmpNum'

now, I went ahead and did this for the html part:

<table border=0>

<tr>
                    		<td height=20px weight=1px valign=bottom><span class=underline>DESCRIPTION</span></td>
                            <td height=20px weight=1px valign=bottom><span class=underline>DATE RECEIVED</span></td>
                            <td height=20px weight=1px valign=bottom><span class=underline>LICENSE NUMBER</span></td>
                    		<td height=20px weight=1px valign=bottom><span class=underline>DATE IN SERVICE</span></td>
                            <td height=20px weight=1px valign=bottom><span class=underline>DATE EXPIRED</span></td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                            <td height=20px valign=bottom><span class=label_text>PHYSICAL EXAM</span></td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= phexam_dr id=phexam_dr onBlur= 'formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $phexam_dr; 							?>'> </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= phexam_ln id=phexam_ln onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $phexam_ln; 			                            ?>'> </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= phexam_is id=phexam_is onBlur= 'formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $phexam_is;                            ?>'> </td>	
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= phexam_ex id=phexam_ex onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $phexam_ex;                             ?>'> </td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                            <td height=20px valign=bottom><span class=label_text>PROFESSIONAL LICENSE</span></td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= prolic_dr id=prolic_dr onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $prolic_dr;                            ?>'> </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= prolic_ln id=prolic_ln onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $prolic_ln;                            ?>'> </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= prolic_is id=prolic_is onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $prolic_is;                            ?>'> </td>	
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= prolic_ex id=prolic_ex onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $prolic_ex; 			                            ?>'> </td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                            <td height=20px valign=bottom><span class=label_text>PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE</span></td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= proins_dr id=proins_dr onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $proins_dr;                            ?>'> </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= proins_ln id=proins_ln onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $proins_ln; 																			   							?>'> </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= proins_is id=proins_is onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $proins_is;  							?>'> </td>	
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name= proins_ex id=proins_ex onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $proins_ex;  							?>'> </td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                            <td height=20px valign=bottom><span class=label_text>DRIVER'S LICENSE</span></td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name=dl_dr id=dl_dr onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $dl_dr; ?>'> 
                            </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name=dl_ln id=dl_ln onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $dl_ln; ?>'> 
                            </td>
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name=dl_is id=dl_is onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $dl_is; ?>'> 
                            </td>	
                            <td valign=top><input class=demog_box type=text size=10 name=dl_ex id=dl_ex onBlur='formatDate(this)' value='<?php echo $dl_ex; ?>'> 
                            </td>
	    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>

</table>

I am now doing the the sql statement to insert into my db but i am stuck.

i basically want to get the information that the user enters for each field and save it on the employees profile.

$querydoc = "update    personnel_document

set empnum = '$EmpNum' , doc_type = ???, date_received = ????, date_expired = ????, date issued = ???

where empnum = '$EmpNum' ";

The problem is that since each description has a different variable im not sure how to update it.... would I have to create a new update for each description? also I hard coded the name of each description but i believe it is better if i echo the description name from the db as i cant use taht as the doc_type... i am pretty confused, if anyone has a better way of doing this i would really appreciate it!

eventually i also want to make sure that the description is expired to to with the fields I have there and promp the user of something that is expired. Once again, any help given is much appreciated!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.