Hi stuck at this any way around?

takn25

I have a table called data which stores name and other material and there is a table called

match.

Match has an auto incrementing id called match_id and a row called match_1 and match_2.

Ok what happens is an id which is unique from the data table is stored in match_1 and another

id which is unique from the data table is stored in match_2

For example

Match_id    match_1    match_2

40            1          2

40            2          1

Is there any way to retrive the data of both ids for instance in this case match_1 and match_2

based on the match_id being same? I tried a few joining queries but no luck for me could some one tell me how can I achieve this thanks.

Basically get name place etc details of match 1 and match 2  based on the match_id

The thing is there is a name row in the data table and a place so if I do a while loop for fetching data

I dont understand how will I tell SQL that I want to fetch data of the match_1 and also match_2

I am able to fetch data of one of these not both with a join query but I dont know how can I fetch data

of both match_1 and match_2 in a single query is this possible?

For instance While ($row =mysql_fetch_assoc($result))

{

$name = $row['name'];

echo $name

}

If I echo $name it just shows either match_1 or match_2 and their data not both of them I dont know if I am making any sense could some one guide me thanks alot!

I don't have any experience with JOINs or even subqueries, but this seems to work on my test database:

SELECT * FROM data WHERE match_id = ANY(SELECT match_1 FROM match WHERE match_id=40) OR match_id = ANY(SELECT match_2 FROM match WHERE match_id=40)

Thanks dcro for trying to help but its a weird case what I am trying to achieve I want to select both of the

match_1 and match_2 data at the same time rather than using OR and selecting only one of these I guess its not possible but thanks for the help!

That is what my query is supposed to do.. I tested it with two rows with the same match_id and it returned the data from the data table for all the different match ids. OR just means it'll return rows that match either condition. I don't know the field names of your data table, so I just used match_id.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.