can I use a value="" in a form tag to select a DB table from $_POST?

spryce

I want to post some form identifyer when I hit submit, so that I can use this in an SQL query.

Previously I used the below code and would retrieve either page1.php or page2.php etc from $_POST['subject']);

<td>
<select name="subject" id="subject" onchange="gotourl(this.value)">
			<option value="" >Please Select</option>
			<option value="page1.php" >page1</option>
			<option value="page2.php">page2</option>
			<option value="page3.php">page3</option>
			</select>
		</td>

will this work?

<form id="form1" name="form1" value="tableName" method="post" action="">

$_POST['form1']) returns tableName......

Thanks

I usually handle all my inputs on a one to one basis, as most of my inputs I require different things from..

in the form tag you don't need a value (actually I'm not even sure thats valid by W3C standards, I know Ive never seen it though).

Anyway.. if your looking just to have an array of data from any given form that you want to work with that array instead of a one to one, then all you need to do is go based on $_POST without the ['whatever'] as $_POST is an array by itself if you post your form and on the page its going to if you put

echo "<pre>";
print_r($_POST);
echo "</pre>";

you will see all the data in said array. All though I see you mention multiple forms? Do you mean on the same page? If so then a post is a post is a post. what ever lies between

<form> and </form>

is fair game to $_POST on a per form tag basis once the submit button is hit within those form tags.. Anything outside of that particluar form is not submitted. 

hidden fields work, as long as they are within the <form> tags you are submitting. Although I wouldn't hard code my table names or anything that would make any connection to actual structure of my database into a place that's visible to those who know where to look in hopes of such information. Don't want to give any would be bad users anything pertinent to work with ya know.

Your concept however is alright, I would just use a different association.. say instead of TableName use some other identifier whatever you want to call it really. that you can put in your form handling script if($myHiddenValue == "thisSpecialValue"){$tableToUse = "TableName";} little extra work and processing per say. But in the end run Im a paranoid person. I don't trust anyone that comes to sites I work on cause ya never know when your gunna get that one that will just really $*(#$*RT& up your day..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.