cssfreakie....

stevengreen22

This post may get moived but I figured it'd be best here.

I'm not great at apologies (bu there it was)

Seems you've helped a lot of people, have some advice and the blog has good tips, I figure anyone that gives their time to others deserves some credit and I shouldn't have reacted in the way that I did.  It was my child and you may as well have broken his/her nose.

So...advice on board, redesigning site, using your blog and other sites the guys provided as a refernce / learning guide.

You may have seen my other post.

http://webdesignprofessionals.co.uk/new_site/index.php

My attempt at playign around with the menu bar that came from an online file.

I asked whether it was a good practice in what I did, if you;reable to offer advice after I was a prick it'd be appreciated, if not then...well I'll learn one way or another. :)

Seems i read this after i commented on your question:about the way you set up the menu. So don't even think the stuff you just wrote changed my mind on how i think of this matter.

Just to underline how I  (and I assume most people here) experience  this and other fora/real-life: we just like to help each other out with what we know, and we do so because we've been here as 'friendly' newbies too, in fact as far as php i am still a complete newbie if i compare myself to some of the other active members. And if I may have sounded harsh, than I am glad i did, because what you showed us should have alarmed all bells with anyone in that business (that was a defcon 1 situation).

Now the fact that your site is your 'baby', certainly is not a valid reason to personally attack or 'try' to mock someone you really don't know nor hide behind it as a form of argument. It's invalid as hell.

Any way I hope you enjoy your stay here, and give back what you learned in the end and treat everyone here with respect.

cssfreakie

Seems i read this after i commented on your question:about the way you set up the menu. So don't even think the stuff you just wrote changed my mind on how i think of this matter.

Just to clarify...I apologised as I screwed up, I expected nothing from you.  When I checked the other thread I saw your reply.  And I stated that.  I thak you again for your help and as above, I made a mistake.  I had no intention of changing your mind or anythign else like that. Not quite sure what you wer referring to, still.  Have a wicked one and I'll be sute to help out others when I'm capable of doing so.

The site...was pretty rank :D Big ole blue buttons,  :o I needed to step outside the box.

It's easy to get defensive when criticised over a piece of work that you have spent a lot of time on. Hell, I still do it now with my boss when he gives me feedback. It is a skill that you develop over time that gives you the ability to take comments and suggestions on the chin, and sometimes after applying them you will realise that you arguments for not doing so were weak.

After time when you have worked on a heck of a lot more projects, you will stop treating them as your babies (if you continue to be a designer / developer). This is because you will build up libraries of code, templates, graphics, etc, and you will start to plug sites together from others. Any improvements that you make will become part of your toolset for other projects. It becomes almost like a production line.

It's easy to get defensive when criticised over a piece of work that you have spent a lot of time on. Hell, I still do it now with my boss when he gives me feedback. It is a skill that you develop over time that gives you the ability to take comments and suggestions on the chin, and sometimes after applying them you will realise that you arguments for not doing so were weak.

After time when you have worked on a heck of a lot more projects, you will stop treating them as your babies (if you continue to be a designer / developer). This is because you will build up libraries of code, templates, graphics, etc, and you will start to plug sites together from others. Any improvements that you make will become part of your toolset for other projects. It becomes almost like a production line.

Thanks, when put like that, it really does show perspective.  I was far too defensive but now I've come to terms with it and there are many problems.  Some pointed out earlier (one of the sneacky wenches in class was able to create an acc with an Admin username, same as mine) was able to chekc the script and completley missed that, email checked for duplicates but not usernames. 

Thanks to all for the help and feedback

I see you took my advice. It shows a different side of your character than the first one you displayed. You were heading down the path of never getting any help from this forum.

I would hope that you would display this "new" steven green in your personal encounters in life also. You will surely go a lot farther if you do.

If you want to attack, attack facts, not personalities or personal traits.

And only use tables for displaying data.... :D

Yes, I did, reluctantly but it was deserved and I was a prick.

IN life, I'm decent etc but every now and then...well...

And, I'm glad, very much so, as I feel the help I get here could be the turning point in what've been a important chapter in my career/studies.

So, table for data and frames for everything else?!?!?? :D

Kind of like having real kids.  With kid #1 you're constantly worried over every little thing. "Oh nohs, Jane bumped her head or got a scrape, rush to the ER!!! Won't stop crying, rush to the ER!!! Ate 1/4 too little or too much of her baby food, rush to the ER!!!"

By the time kid #4 comes along you're just like "Eh, he'll stop crying eventually.  Eh, scrapes and bumps happen, he'll live.  Eh, he didn't eat as much today, he'll make up for it next meal or whatever, he's not gonna die. "

Well that's how it happened in my household anyways :P

AFAIK, tables should be used for tabular data only.

Of course. I left off the adjective. cssfreakie continues to drill that into my hard head....tabular data only!

But what about frames? Seems one of the major critiques about my old, 1990's site was that it was using frames.

AFAIK, tables should be used for tabular data only.

Of course. I left off the adjective. cssfreakie continues to drill that into my hard head....tabular data only!

But what about frames? Seems one of the major critiques about my old, 1990's site was that it was using frames.

Thatswas my weak attempt at humour...the frames bit....:)

No kids at yet in this household...bad enough trying to pay for mortgage, uni and car while working part itme, if I had a kid I'd drop dead :)

Kind of like having real kids.  With kid #1 you're constantly worried over every little thing. "Oh nohs, Jane bumped her head or got a scrape, rush to the ER!!! Won't stop crying, rush to the ER!!! Ate 1/4 too little or too much of her baby food, rush to the ER!!!"

By the time kid #4 comes along you're just like "Eh, he'll stop crying eventually.  Eh, scrapes and bumps happen, he'll live.  Eh, he didn't eat as much today, he'll make up for it next meal or whatever, he's not gonna die. "

Well that's how it happened in my household anyways :P

Sounds like my parents, and they did an excellent job!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.