First string in array doesn't show?

3raser

I'm trying to expand my knowledge on some more str type functions, and I've always wanted to learn implode and explode, but I was just too lazy.

Anyways, for some reason, if I type in: salad,pizza,apples - the first value in the array, salad, doesn't show up. o.O

<?php

$favorite_food = $_POST['favorite_food'];

if(!$favorite_food)
{
	?>

<form action="words.php" method="POST">
	<input type="text" name="favorite_food">
	<input type="submit">
	</form>

<?php
}
else
{
	$ex = explode(",", $favorite_food);
	$amount = count($ex) + 1;

while($i < $amount)
	{
		echo $ex[$i]."<br/>";
		++$i;
	}
}

?>	

I know arrays start at 0, so thats why I added 1 to the count.

There's two problems here. First, $i doesn't have a value before it's used, so it's automatically false when you first use it. Since there's no $ex[false], nothing is outputted. That's why it's preferrable to use a for() loop for these kind of things. Setting error_reporting to E_ALL also helps to catch these kinds of things.

Then there's the problem that by adding 1 to the count you're making it echo one more value than actually exists. It makes sense if you really think about it. If you have an array with 3 members, count() will return 3, but your array will have values at [0]-[2]. If you check the source of the page in your browser, you'll see that there's an extra "<br />" at the end.

So here's my suggestion:

<?php

if(!$favorite_food)
{
	?>

<input type="submit">
	</form>

<?php
}
else
{
	$amount = count($ex);

for($i = 0; $i < $amount; $i++)
	{
		echo $ex[$i]."<br/>";
	}
}

?>

There's two problems here. First, $i doesn't have a value before it's used, so it's automatically false when you first use it. Since there's no $ex[false], nothing is outputted. That's why it's preferrable to use a for() loop for these kind of things. Setting error_reporting to E_ALL also helps to catch these kinds of things.

Then there's the problem that by adding 1 to the count you're making it echo one more value than actually exists. It makes sense if you really think about it. If you have an array with 3 members, count() will return 3, but your array will have values at [0]-[2]. If you check the source of the page in your browser, you'll see that there's an extra "<br />" at the end.

So here's my suggestion:

<?php

if(!$favorite_food)
{
	?>

<input type="submit">
	</form>

<?php
}
else
{
	$amount = count($ex);

for($i = 0; $i < $amount; $i++)
	{
		echo $ex[$i]."<br/>";
	}
}

?>

Thanks, this is much appreciated. I thought by adding one, that would fix the problem with $i. I forgot about for loops for some reason. :/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.