Can PHP check constantly if Database updated?

Dustyy

I'm creating a game where 2 people, on separate computers can battle each other. I'm doing it turn-based, like Final Fantasy but I came across a problem, how do I check if the other person has ended their turn?

I was thinking that I would have an area in my database that would be true/false if it was their turn. So if the first person ends their turn, their 'turn' becomes false in the database, but how, on the other users computer, do I constantly check if the 'turn' has become false so that they may now play without having to keep updating the browser.

Or is their a better way to do something like this?

The AJAX-call will constanly ask the server if the field changed, if you have many users on your website it will have to answer a lot of "questions" slowing it down. Using push tells the user when something happened, like for example when the other user left to abort the game.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.