Setting the style on the current page

barrycorrigan

Hi Everyone,

I have this small bit of PHP that when you are on a certain page it will add a class called selected

<?php $currentPage = basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']); ?>
<ul id="subnav">
   <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Wedding" id="wedding" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php?category=Wedding') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Wedding Hair</a></li>
   <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Men" id="mens-styles" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php?category=Men') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Mens Styles</a></li>
   <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Women" id="womens-styles" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php?category=Women') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Women's Styles</a></li>
   <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Salon" id="salon" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php?category=Salon') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Salon</a></li>
</ul>

This is not working I think it's because of the file extenstion 'gallery.php?category=Wedding' is there any way I can get this to work with these extensions

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Barry

php self would work, but that wil stop working at some point if the querystring changes, why not do a substring check for the filename , thus avoiding the querystring.

<li><a href="gallery.php?category=Wedding" id="wedding" <?php if (substr($currentPage ,'gallery.php')) {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Wedding Hair</a></li>   

Hi spiderwell,

I tried your way and it works but it adds the selected class on all the links how does it work where it only shows on the current page.

Hi Nightslyr,

I also had a go doing it your way. I done this:

<?php $currentPage = basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']); ?>
<ul id="subnav">
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Wedding" id="wedding" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php$_GET['category']') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Wedding Hair</a></li>
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Men" id="mens-styles" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php$_GET['category']') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Mens Styles</a></li>
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Women" id="womens-styles" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php$_GET['category']') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Women's Styles</a></li>
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Salon" id="salon" <?php if ($currentPage == 'gallery.php$_GET['category']') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Salon</a></li>
</ul>

But this way give me an error. Maybe I done this wrong

Thanks

Barry

Yeah, you did it wrong ;)

You simply need:

$current = $_GET['category'];
?>

<ul id="subnav">
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Wedding" id="wedding" <?php if ($current == 'Wedding' || $current == 'wedding') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Wedding Hair</a></li>
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Men" id="mens-styles" <?php if ($current == 'Men' || $current == 'men') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Mens Styles</a></li>
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Women" id="womens-styles" <?php if ($current == 'Women' || $current == 'women') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Women's Styles</a></li>
     <li><a href="gallery.php?category=Salon" id="salon" <?php if ($current == 'Salon' || $current == 'salon') {echo 'class="selected"';} ?>>Salon</a></li>
</ul>

You should really brush up on how to handle the superglobal arrays $_GET and $_POST, as you'll be dealing with them all the time if you stick with PHP.

Hi spiderwell,

I tried your way and it works but it adds the selected class on all the links how does it work where it only shows on the current page.

yeah i didnt look closely enough and if the script isnt changing the category is which is why my code didnt work

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.