all my posts are being generated for all the categories

johnmerlino

Hey all,

I have a relationship where a zone has many posts and a category has many zones but a zone can also have many categories. The zones are basically parts of a page, such as the main area and sidepanel stored in database as records with name fields such as 'panel' and 'main'. There's a serious flaw right now and I would like to know the best solution to address it. Right now I access the posts of a zone of a category like this:

$category->zone->get()->post->get();

The above ends up displaying all the posts in the database for any given category because when category is selected, it searches for the associating zones, and then selects all posts related to those zones, which is wrong. i want to select all posts of the zones associated with that particular category.

Current database:

zones
id name

categories_zones
id zone_id category_id

categories
id

What should I do? Add a category_id column to the posts table and relate the post directly to the category as well as directly to the zones table so the post table would have two foreign keys: category_id and zone_id

Would this be the most effective thing to do given my requirements?

Thanks for response.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.