Query failing on Upper/lowercase

ProcalX

Morning all, I'm trying to query a user table and am receiving errors. In the mysql statement I am trying to SELECT all data from the table that matches the username of the person logged in.

The error I am receiving is this: Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\123\myaccount.php

The database query is written correctly, if I am logged in as the user Admin then I recieve this message as well:

Unknown column 'Admin' in 'where clause' from the or die(mysql_error());.

In the database the username is: admin but I can login using Admin, is this an issue of upper and lowercase?

The PHP code is below:

<?php
require_once('connect.php');

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE username = $_SESSION[gatekeeper]");
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query) or die(mysql_error()));
{
	echo"<div class='BlockContent'>";
	echo"	<table id='UserList'>";
	echo"		<tr>";
	echo"		  <th>My Account</th>";
	echo"		</tr>";
	echo"		<tr>";
	echo"		  <td id='left'>";
	echo"		  </td>";
	echo"		</tr>";
	echo"	</table>";								
	echo"</div>";
}
?>

Hi

Try moving the variable out of the brackets and concatenating it.  I have the same issue sometimes and find that when usingf a variable from an array it crashes.

<?php
require_once('connect.php');
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE username = " . $_SESSION[gatekeeper]);

Stu

You must wrap your $_SESSION['gatekeeper'] in single quotes as it is a string.  Also, you'r or die statement should be against the mysql_query() NOT the mysql_fetch_array().

in addition it is better practice to assign the query text to a variable before running the mysql_query() against it.

here:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM user WHERE username = '$_SESSION[gatekeeper]'";
$query = mysql_query($sql) or die ('ERROR :<br>'.mysql_error().'<br><br>When Running<br><br>'.$sql);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query){

Also, try to avoid using SELECT *

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.