PHP Output Buffer Benchmark (microtime inaccurate when used with usleep?)

nunja

Hi all,

I post a strange behavior that could be reproduced (at least on apache2+php5).

I don't know if I am doing wrong but let me explain what I try to achieve.

I need to send chunks of binary data (let's say 30) and analyze the average Kbit/s at the end :

I sum each chunk output time, each chunk size, and perform my Kbit/s calculation at the end.

<?php

// build my binary chunk
$var= '';
$o=9000;
while($o--)
{
	$var.= "testtest";
}

// get the size, prepare the memory.
$size = strlen($var);
$tt_sent = 0;
$tt_time = 0;

// I send my chunk 30 times
for ($i = 0; $i < 30; $i++)
{
	// start time
	$t = microtime(true);
	echo $var."\n";
	ob_flush();
	flush();
	$e = microtime(true);
	// end time
	// the difference should reprenent what it takes to the server to 
	// transmit chunk to client right ?

// add this chuck bench to the total
	$tt_time += round($e-$t,4);
	$tt_sent += $size;
}

// total result
echo "\n total: ".(($tt_sent*8)/($tt_time)/1024)."\n";

?>

In this example above, it works so far ( on localhost, it oscillate from 7000 to 10000 Kbit/s through different tests).

Now, let's say I want to shape the transmission, because I know that the client will have enough of a chunk of data to process for a second.

I decide to use usleep(1000000), to mark a pause between chunk transmission.

<?php

// build my binary chunk
$var= '';
$o=9000;
while($o--)
{
	$var.= "testtest";
}

// get the size, prepare the memory.
$size = strlen($var);
$tt_sent = 0;
$tt_time = 0;

// I send my chunk 30 times
for ($i = 0; $i < 30; $i++)
{
	// start time
	$t = microtime(true);
	echo $var."\n";
	ob_flush();
	flush();
	$e = microtime(true);
	// end time
	// the difference should reprenent what it takes to the server to 
	// transmit chunk to client right ?

// add this chuck bench to the total
	$tt_time += round($e-$t,4);
	$tt_sent += $size;

usleep(1000000);
}

// total result
echo "\n total: ".(($tt_sent*8)/($tt_time)/1024)."\n";

?>

I am doing something wrong ? Does the buffer output is not synchronous ?

Thanks a Lot

Nunja

Thanks a lot for helping out !

usleep() takes microseconds (not millisecs, which would lead to 16 minutes indeed).

This script is only delaying one sec per iteration.

The thing that I do not catch is why the microtime() measurements are affected by usleep . I only want to know the echo+flush delay (what it takes for the server to deliver the chunk to the client in one iteration ).

Is there something I did not catch ? at the protocol level ? php level ?

many thanks

From your script, the timers shouldn't be affected by sleep function.

But what I don't get, is; why are you overwriting the same variables 30 times? and, why are you pausing the script anyway?

You might be trying to calculate an average, but that is not the correct method of doing it; as it only actually record one of the 30 timers.

The method you are using, doesn't really calculate anything as for "at what speed" the server is delivering the data to the client. That specific topic is a whole other thing, which would not be able to be calculated with PHP.  The OS, and then mainly the network connection is the role players in that topic.

Basically, that is a simple abstraction of what I want to achieve for real, but the problem is still here.

Everything is dummy data here but is a good representation of what the script should do.

But what I don't get, is; why are you overwriting the same variables 30 times?

It's not overwriting, that's an addition (+=), the total of both vars at the end represents a mean.

and, why are you pausing the script anyway?

Because I simulate a sort of bandwidth shaping. Consider that the chunk of data is enough, on the clientside, to trigger a 1second time process (at least).

The rest would be queued in the client buffer anyway (w/o usleep), because it needs more or less one second to process the chunk of data (for some reason).

as it only actually record one of the 30 timers.

no it's not, it sums all results. the size is the same for each chunk.

That specific topic is a whole other thing, which would not be able to be calculated with PHP.  The OS, and then mainly the network connection is the role players in that topic.

you're right on that part, but I have no choice, and as PHP is a server side app, it would be able to calculate this, with more or less precision.

Sorry if I was not so clear.

Nunja

Ah, sorry about that. I didn't see the additions.

If I can be honest with you here, you're really not going to get any form of accurate result form PHP.

What I can suggest though, is using Javascript to determine how fast the client is receiving the data from the server. Basically the other way around from this.

But, if it need be in PHP, then you will need to dig deeper and use system specs, and a variety of memory, cpu and network tests to make this as accurate as can be. This, still would not be correct as to how fast the client is receiving it though. For that, you will need to combine a Javascript method and send back the data to the script, to be recalculated and resent to the client.

Only then, will you know more or less accurately the time from the script's initiation to the client reading the data.

Your code looks correct to me.  What exactly is the problem you have with the second sample code?  How are the measurements affected?  Sample output would be good, including output of every value that goes into calculating the overall average.

Hello !

An exemple of the results that I have for the output timer in the first script:

if I divid the total output size of all my chunks by the total of time it took (adding all the above), according to this formula:

(total_sent*8)/(tt_time)/1024

I obtain a good estimate of the average Kbit/s. It tested it successfully against a Net Limiter. If I limit the 80 http port to 64Kbit/s, my results here are more or less accurate.

Now, with the usleep my microtime results are affected in a strange way (I do not want to record the time took by usleep, just want to record the time that the client takes to get a particular flushed chunk).

Kind of results like this:

That's too low !

For sure, result in Kbit/s is totally wrong then.

I got inspired by this script at first (8th post by Bokeh):

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77891

Thanx !

Well that is rather unusual.  I can think of some theories, such as sleeping affecting the scheduler or affecting how much data is buffered and waiting to be sent when you output the next chunk.  But at the end of the day, iare you getting the intended behaviour?  Is the data rate limited?  If so, it doesn't matter that you're getting unexpected measurements.

Hello,

We did not come with any solution right now.

This is weird, we want to achieve two things here:

Estimate the user bandwidth in Kbit/s, and

at the same time (same thread / script), limit this bandwidth.

There might be a strange behavior here, I don't see why it do not work technically.

There's many good technical reasons why it may not work.  What you are measuring is the time for an echo, a call to ob_flush() and a call to flush().  These calls may get blocked due to insufficient space in an output buffer, or they may get to run instantly because there's available space.  Or they may make a system call which results in your process getting put to sleep, and then other processes may run in the meantime, before you finish measuring.

Both explanations are consistent with seeing reduced times after adding a sleep() between each measurement.

You might need to work at a lower level, such as a raw socket, to get more accurate timing.  Then PHP's buffering won't be involved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.