Working out months.

gergy008

Hi,

I managed to source this code that allows me to work out how many days until a date.

However I don't know how it works so I can't change it to make it work out months.

Can someone kindly help me understand it? Also this code uses the unix timestamp system.

$cdate = $deadlinedate;
$today = time();
$difference = $cdate - $today;
if ($difference < 0) { $difference = 0;

$days=floor($difference/60/60/24);

All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Unix timestamp is the number of seconds elapsed since January 1, 1970.

The time function returns that number for "right now". I assume that $deadlinedate is the number of seconds for a date in the future.

To get the number of days between those two dates, you use the formula you have: 60 = number of seconds/minute, 60 = number of minutes/hour, 24 = number of hours/day. Or you could just divide by 86400 -- the number of seconds in a day.

To get the number of months is harder, since the number of days/month is variable. You can get an approximate value by:

<?php
$months = floor($days/30);
?>

or

<?php
$months = floor($days/31);
?>

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.