compare table data and run script

dropbop

Hi,

I have a database (mysql). In the database is a table with categories (categories_id, categories_name etc).

I also have another table (products table) which gets filled using a html form. That table holds category info too.

What I am trying to do (without any luck) is when the form is processed, it will populate the table with the new data, then I need it to compare the 2 tables to see if the category fields from both tables have a match. If there is a match in the tables then send an email to people who has asked to be notified when new product has been added that matches a particular criteria.

For example, if someone adds a product to the category 'Landscapers', with a location 'Dorset'... I would like to be able to email all the registered tradespeople in Dorset about the new product.

I know this should be something quite simple, but I cant seem to get my head around it. Any pointers would be fantastic.

Many thanks

DB

let's see what code you have so far.

I have actually linked my mysql database to MSaccess for now where I can design the queries visually, and maybe even be able to create a cron in windows to send the emails....  This will also give me a sort of 'hard copy' to work from when I do get the time to properly code this feature into the project.

Although, this will be just temporary to get me going for now so I can move on a bit further with my project. I will come back to it at a later stage, but at the moment I need to move on and this feature i think would take too much time.

Thanks for the reply anyway, much appreciated :)

DB

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.