persistent mysql database connection

samona

I was wondering what the users at phpfreaks recommend as far as persistent database connections.  Is it better to save the connection, or to open up a new connection for each page? 

Also, how would you have a persistent connection? 

Thanks for the response.

I want to create a login system using a mysql database instead of the default filesystem.  I'm just wondering if its better to tear down the connection after each page and rebuild it on the next one. 

Also,I want to use object so I'm wondering if I should serialize those object or just store the values in the database and query them using the saved session value.

Persistent database connections cannot be 'saved'. You must still call the code on every page to get one of the existing persistent connections or to create a new persistent connection if an existing one is not available.

Edit, Also, persistent connections only work on a very few web server/php configurations and in only the latest php versions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.