I know its a long shot but hey anythings worth asking.

Butler

I am trying to get a website up for my mother and am running into so many brick walls. There is so much i dont know about php. I know basics. What i would really love is some to try to tutor me through what i need to know. If anyone could do this for me i would be forever grateful.

We tutor and help people every day here.  The only thing is that you need to bring something to the table, in terms of what you have so far.  The more specific the question, the better the answers tend to be.  If you're not to that point, a much better suggestion for you would be to check out tutorials and see if there's one for building something similar to what you want. 

Last but not least, in many cases using a CMS like Drupal or Joomla is a better site building solution for someone like yourself (and ultimately your mother) than trying to take on learning how to make a professional website, which is a substantial challenge.

The question is do you really want to learn coding or do you want a website, those are two fundamentally different aspirations.

I see these a lot on forums, mostly entrepreneurs who lack the start up capital (which is understandable since money is not easy to get) think they'll just start learning programming and build a website, once they try to get into it they get overwhelmed by an information over-flood.

Coding is really not that easy and you can not start learning it with e-commerce, you'll have to start with "Hello World!" examples - a fact that can be daunting for somebody who saw coding as a means to an end.

If you in fact are an entrepreneur with a desire for a website I recommend saving up ~500 USD and going on Elance there are people who are willing to do it for that price just to stock up their portfolio, since a website would usually go around a grand.

If you think coding is like therapy, enjoy your stay on the best PHP forum on the net, and follow gizmola's advice which basically describes a main part of the working procedure of a programmer: define problem -> find solution, repeat.

buy a decent book. online tutorials and articles are very limited and mostly meant for a specific case and assume a certain knowledge.

a book is also more structured, more didactic and saves you time searching.

Programming is a passion. You need to enjoy what you are doing and enjoy the troubleshooting process, because that's all programming really is - a series of problems you find solutions to in code. You need to look forward to those stumbling blocks that transform into learning milestones. It takes huge amounts of time, drive, ambition, and dedication.

Reference materials are a must, whether they be tutorials (just to get you started and keep you interested), books, and http://php.net/ is a lifesaver.

ok i will be honest i did start learning this just for one purpose. I will further by saying I really dislike coding in general. But my mother has been wanting this for so long and cant afford to fork out so much money and now i am so overwhelmed trying to learn it. I dont even need to know how to do the actual "site" just the addition to for vendors to sell through me. And now i see now means of doing so....

ok i will be honest i did start learning this just for one purpose. I will further by saying I really dislike coding in general. But my mother has been wanting this for so long and cant afford to fork out so much money and now i am so overwhelmed trying to learn it. I dont even need to know how to do the actual "site" just the addition to for vendors to sell through me. And now i see now means of doing so....

I'm sorry but this just isn't the place for you, and your approach is doomed to fail.  If you want to take the time to write up a detailed list of requirements for what this site is supposed to do, I can take a quick look and see if there's something close in the joomla module world, but if what you're looking for is what it sounds like (an amazon marketplace mini-clone) then I'm not sure you're going to have much luck. You might also want to look at Lemonstand, Magento, Zencart/oscommerce and other php based e-commerce packages.  See:  http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=3&category=eCommerce

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.