PHP and form submition with enter button

elmas156

Hello everyone,

I have a page with a short form with just a password field and a submit button.  I also have php code setting variables depending on whether or not the password is correct.  When the password is entered and the submit button is CLICKED, everything works as it should.  However, when the password is entered and the ENTER button is pushed to submit the form, the form is reset and nothing else happens.  Also, this only happens in I.E., it works fine with Firefox.  I have plenty of other forms that I use in the same manner but they all work whether the submit button is clicked or the enter button is pushed to submit, regardless of what browser is used.  The idea is to have this window close (it's opened as a pop-up) and the main window load the next page.  Again, it works perfectly as long as the submit button is clicked but not if the enter button is pushed.  Not sure if it has something to do with my php code or what.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Here's my code:

<?php

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

$pword = md5($_POST['pword']);

$q = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `accounts` WHERE acct_number = '$acct' AND pword = '$pword'") or die (mysql_error());
$r = mysql_num_rows($q); // Checks to see if anything is in the db.

if ($r == 1) {

$student = "true";

} else {

$student = "false";

}

} else {

$student = "unknown";

}

?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

<title>Student Verification...</title>
</head>

<!-- <body> tag is in PHP -->

<?php

if ($student == "true") {

echo "<body onunload=\"opener.location=('signup.php?acct1=$acct')\">";

} else {

echo "<body>";

}

if ($student == "true") {

echo "<div align='center'>";
	echo "<p><font size='+2'>Passcode Correct!</font></p>";
	echo "</div>";
	echo "<div align='justify'>";
	echo "<p>You will now be directed to the signup page.</p>";
	echo "</div>";
	echo "<p>Thank you.</p>";
	echo "<input type='button' value='Continue to Signup...' onClick='window.close()'>";
	echo "</div>";

echo "<meta http-equiv=\"REFRESH\" content=\"20;url=close.php\">";

} elseif ($student == "unknown") {

echo "<table width='325' height='175' border='0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0'>";
		echo "<tr>";
			echo "<td width='325' align='center' valign='middle'>";
				echo "<p><font size='+1'><strong>Welcome!</strong></font></p>";
				echo "<p>Please enter the school passcode.</p>";
				echo "<form name='form' method='POST' action='schoolpw.php'>";
				echo "<p><input type='password' name='pword' size='30' maxlength='20' /></p>";
				echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' id='submit' value='Submit' />     ";
				echo "<input type='button' name='cancel' value='Cancel' onClick='window.close()' />";
				echo "</form>";
				echo "</p>";
			echo "</td>";
		echo "</tr>";
	echo "</table>";
echo "</div>";

} elseif ($student == "false") {

echo "<table width='325' height='175' border='0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0'>";
		echo "<tr>";
			echo "<td width='325' align='center' valign='middle'>";
				echo "<p><font size='+1'><strong>Welcome!</strong></font></p>";
				echo "<p><font color='#FF0000'>Incorrect Passcode! Please try again.</font></p>";
				echo "<form name='form' method='POST' action='schoolpw.php'>";
				echo "<p><input type='password' name='pword' size='30' maxlength='20' /></p>";
				echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Submit' />     ";
				echo "<input type='button' name='cancel' value='Cancel' onClick='window.close()' />";
				echo "</form>";
				echo "</p>";
			echo "</td>";
		echo "</tr>";
	echo "</table>";
echo "</div>";

}

?>

</body>
</html>

That works! 2 hours of trying everything I could think of, and I come to PHPFreaks.com and my problem is solved in less than 5 minutes!  Wow!  THANK YOU SIR... AGAIN!

Is this just one of those IE things, or is there a good reason that this works the way it does?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.