301 Redirects with PHP

adipalmer123

Hi all

I created a site a while ago now. Using PHP and MySQL. I set it up using a windows server NOT linux.

I've come to start to do some SEO work on the site, but Google is finding two different urls. the www version and the non www version.

As I'm on a windows server I cant create a htaccess file and add some script to re-direct.

For some reason I dont have IIS installed.

I believe you can create a re-direct in PHP. I have done this for the index.php file. It works fine when you go to the homepage but when you click on another link to a different part of the site in Google results, it then redirects me to the homepage. This is obviously messing up my rankings. 

The code i used for the re-driect was as follows:

<?php

if (substr($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'],0,3) != 'www') {

header('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');

header('Location: http://www.'.$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']

.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);

}

?>

My site works with includes to the index.php file. I thought this would work but obviously not.

Anyone any ideas.

Adi

One way to get the htaccess working on a Windows server is by editing your Apache httpd.conf file.

AccessFileName .htaccess

change to

AccessFileName htaccess.txt

This allows your server to read htacess.txt as if it was .htaccess.

You CAN create an HTACCESS file on windows.

Run notepad/your fav ascii editor. Fill it with your desired content. File->Save. In the 'Save as Type' dropdown box, choose 'All Files (*.*)'

Name the file '.htaccess' (no quotes)

???

Profit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.