Image map question

brenda

I am not sure whether this is an appropriate question for this forum but am hoping it might be.

I have an image and intend to create a number of image maps of it so that readers can click on various parts of the image and then get a document coming up inviting them to write their thoughts about that part of the image.

I am wondering whether it is possible, once they have written down their thoughts, for what they have written then to be superimposed on the image where the image map is?

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply Spiderwell.

Sorry if I am being thick here but I don't understand how the alt or title attributes would enable me, even using javascript, to overwrite the original image map.

Thanks

Its not creating the image map that is the problem.  What I would like to do, if possible, is to allow the person clicking on the image map to open a document that they can write to which will then replace the image map.

Is that possible and if so how?

Thanks

What I was thinking of was replacing the area of the image map within the image with the document that the user has written on.

So he clicks on the image map, a document opens up for him to write into and then I wanted what he as written to replace the image map.

The image is a tree and the idea is that various parts of the tree will become image maps.  The person can write a word or two that explains what that part of the tree represents to them.  At the end of the process there would be the image of the tree with a number of words written on it where the image maps had been.

So far I can:

1. click on the image map and get a document to open so that the user can write their comments. This is done via the 'trial tree interactive.php' doc I have already uploaded; and

2. create a php document containing an image within a php document of those comments - see attachment for that bit of code.

My problem now is how do I get the image within the php document to replace the image map when the image within the php document is not a jpeg, png or gif file?

I would bwe SO grateful for help as I feel I am so close to the  solution  but just can't make that leap.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.