Building website need help

miiiiike

Hey guys, I'm currently trying to make a tutorial website, and I'd like to have a fairly simple blog / news page that I can update with pictures and news stories.  I would also like people to be able to comment on these postings.  I'm pretty new to PHP but i made a simple blog using a php handler and a database table, but I was just wondering is there some 3rd party application I can use to manage my website with like users and articles and such without having to use their website layout? Like, programs such as WordPress and PHP-Fusion, Joomla etc, dont let you use your own html and css pages do they?

I want to keep my website but have something purely in the background for me to manage the content and maybe like paste some script to my actual pages or whatever.  Im just lost is all I need a little guidance =]  Thanks a bunch.

All the blogs and cms systems allow you to create your own templates.  In most cases the templates require an understanding both of php programming, and the internals of the package, but the well known ones like Wordpress, Serendipity, Joomla and Drupal, all have lots of free templates you can examine and use as the basis for your own template.  Find one that is close in the package that appeals to you, copy it, and modify it. 

You could also consider hosting a website with someone like Dreamhost. They allow you to maintain a "regular" website and a WordPress, Drupal, etc. website under the same account.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here or how that applies to the original question.  Every webhost allows you to have multiple websites.  They'd be useless if they didn't.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here or how that applies to the original question.  Every webhost allows you to have multiple websites.  They'd be useless if they didn't.

Let's say that miiiiike wants to use WordPress, well signing up at WordPress.com might be enough. But if he/she wants to show off the code without having to worry about WordPress interfering, he/she could host with an organization that allows you to install WordPress. Then WordPress could be used as the main website and he/she still has the capabilities to create another website to show off the examples.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.