Serious help needed here!

k1ll

Ok, first let me say hello, and thanks for viewing this.  I do not know very much about PHP at all, and therein lies the problem...  I was editing a php document for my friends website.  All I was doing was adding a line of code so that his site would include a favicon.

I right-clicked on the website and viewed his source, and copied all the code into notepad, added the string of code for the favicon, and uploaded it to his FTP.

Unfortunately when I did that I overwrote some of the PHP code I believe...it didn't copy that when I viewed the site source.

I want to make it right for my friend and fix his website but I have NOOOO idea what to do...  So I have turned to this forum for help...

This is my friends website: thcklan . com

The "recent topics" and "recent posts" at the top, the "hackers banned from our servers," and the "announcements" no longer update properly...

It's like they are frozen at the state they were in when I copied the site's source code...  I feel like an utter jack arse for ruining my buds front page. 

Please, I am asking you from deep within my heart, HELP ME, point me in the right direction, or guide me in some way to make it right to my good friend and fix his site!

the php file you overwrote is very different from what the browsers html output is that you copied.

yes it may have looked the same, but now it doesn't do any functions, you need to find the original version of the php file, it has code in it that is needed for the site to function.

php runs code and generates it's final output as html, you never see the php code itself.

the php file you overwrote is very different from what the browsers html output is that you copied.

yes it may have looked the same, but now it doesn't do any functions, you need to find the original version of the php file, it has code in it that is needed for the site to function.

php runs code and generates it's final output as html, you never see the php code itself.

thanks for your reply, that much i have found out so far...but i can't find a backup of the file anywhere....  is PHP complicated to learn?  can someone with basic html experience learn enough PHP to fix something like that? (in a short amt of time)

The site doesn't look extremely complicated, but even so, without knowing the system it would be difficult/time consuming, and without knowing PHP on top of that, it would definitely take a while.

Also it seems part of it is powered by SMF, which could complicate things, though if it's an SMF file you overwrote, you can try and replace it with the same file from that version of SMF.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.