Correct way of doing a PHP Timeout

j.smith1981

I was wanting to make some kind of session timeout ability, just purely out of curiosity.

I have tried going off my own theory, before looking at any tutorials, well have looked a bit but tried getting the jist and having a go myself the next day (anyways that being said), this code here:

<?php
ini_set('display_errors', 1);
session_name("jeremysmith_test_session");
session_start();

$_SESSION['start_time'] = time();

if($_SESSION['start_time'] < $_SESSION['start_time'] + 500) {
  printf("Time out be out dated!");
}

Just does not seem to want to work, is there any reason for this, that you could think of?

I appreciate any replies,

Jeremy.

Look at it. On each request you set $_SESSION['start_time'] to the current time. Meaning, it will always equal less than the current time + 500.

You need to set an end_time on the first request and check start_time against that on subsequent requests.

Oh ok then that is fine.

Will work this one out and try it out maybe on a subsequent page, just to make it feel like a real system so to speak.

I mean for a user defined time out, it is in seconds is not it? I mean if a user was to say not use a no time out, in a checkbox element, they could say want their login valid for 60minutes, but in the way their inputting it, would be multiplied by 60?

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Plus if I wanted to do purely MySQL authentication time outs, then I would set when the users session would become invalid right? Saying something like:

<?php
['sessiontime'] <= time();
?>

Am I thinking alright about this?

Thank you for your reply and I look forward to your next response,

Jeremy.

Sorry it does not matter got it working now:

if(time() >= $_SESSION['timeout'] )

Obviously me just waffling, but got it working, using say time() + 60 * 60 (so I can theoretically set a text box, that a user can enter to say how long they want their session (if I allow this), for them to stay logged in or a checkbox to allow them to stay permenantly logged in.

Thank you for all your help, just needed to go over some logic.

Jeremy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.