Masking Bank Details

tinks87

Hi,

Im developing a program and it contains bank details in some of the fields stored in the MySQL database.

As part of the upload, I need to find bank details and then mask them by replacing them with XXXXXX for security purposes.

An example of a field could be "TRANSFER 540021 61782457" and I need to replace to "TRANSFER XXXXXX XXXXX457"

Any ideas to the best possible method?

Maybe I would mask blocks of numbers (ie numbers in blocks of 6 or 9) to cover this...im not sure what the best possible way is.

Thanks!

Basically a user can download their bank transactions and upload for analysis.

Only issue is that it contains bank details in transactions they have made.

I see your point about why storing them at all. But I need to store them for the user but leaving the last two digits visible so they can see where the transfer went.

Before the upload occurs, I want to remove any bank details for security purposes.

Thanks

Thanks neil.johnson!

That manages the masking issue but do you know how to find the numbers that need masking in the first place?

I mean if the string is "TRANSFER 540021 61782457", how do I find just the 540021 or 61782457 within the string?

<?php
/*
heres the transaction string
*/
$string = 'TRANSFER 540021 61782457';
/*
extract the numbers
*/
preg_match_all('/[0-9]+/', $string, $result, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);
$result = $result[0];
if(count($result)) {
$number = implode('', $result);	
/*
get the last 3 digits to save in the db
*/
        $digits = 3;
        $to_save = substr($number, strlen($number)-$digits, $digits);
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.