Can multiple entries in a mysql table column cause server to crash?

drayarms

Here is one of those purely conceptual questions, which involves no code.  I'm trying to create a select query which among other things, allows a user of a website to search other members who fall within a particular age range.  I have a column in the table where the members' information are stored which records their ages.  Which brings us to the problem.  On any given day, a member's age may increase by one year compared to what it was the previous day, hence the need to update this column periodically.  I can't think of any way to automatically update this column on a daily basis.  So my solution is to run an initial update query every time a member tries to search other members based on age, which updates the age column for all other members, before running the select query which eventually retrieves the desired age range.  This leads to the second problem.  Imagine there are thousands of users using the website.  At any given instance, there could be hundreds of members, trying to search others based on age.  This means hundreds of users will be updating a single column (the age column) in one table at the same time.  Is this feasible? Can it cause the server to crash? Or is there really a more reasonable way to do all of this? Thank you all for taking your time to read this. Appreciate any responses.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.