PHP Hit counter for each ID page.

iNoob

Hello. I am trying to build a PHP hit counter for each game ID in the column of my database when visited, and updating the 'fldPlays' column by +1 to show how many people visited each page. I have a huge table with a list of data, but I'll show just 3 of the columns I have. Here they are:

fldID |  fldData  |  fldPlays

===================

32145    Data1            0

21543    Data2            0

75855    Data3            0

36623    Data4            0

12471    Data5            0

===================

I am trying to increase the counter number at the 'fldPlays' column to show how many users had played each game by identifying the ID first.

So for example:

User types in 'http://www.mysite.com/games.php?id=32145' in the address bar for the 'Data1' game, and then once the user enters that particular page with that ID 32145 as you see in the URL, it adds 1 to the 'fldPlays' in that row. Overall, when I echo out 'fldPlays' as text in each page, it shows how many people actually played that page.

Just to let everybody know that I am still learning PHP and I am new to counters as well.

My guess to start the PHP counter is to fetch the ID of that URL, you would have to get id like this:

<?php

if(isset($_GET['id'])) {

$conn = mysql_connect("database", "username", "password");

mysql_select_db("data");

$game_id = $_GET['id'];

$sql = "SELECT * FROM dbname WHERE fldID='$game_id' LIMIT 1";

?>

If anyone needs clarification, I will reply. Thanks for helping.

Try the following:

<?php

if(isset($_GET['id'])) {

$conn = mysql_connect("database", "username", "password");

mysql_select_db("data");

$game_id = (int) $_GET['id']; // typecast to integer type to have a safe input from the URL querystring

$sql = "UPDATE `dbname` SET `fldPlays` = `fldPlays` + 1 WHERE `fldID`='$game_id' LIMIT 1";

mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());

//---- your rest of the code goes here ---- //
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.