Best place to start learning PHP

tec-4

Brand new to PHP, but am setting time aside to start learning.  I've been a front-end designer for some time and am just making the move to gain some knowledge in PHP.

Any recommendations or helpful links that have helped you get your feet wet and the ball rolling?

I've picked up a book called PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson and have started cracking at that and is pretty good thus far and am just looking for other references that have helped some of you more experienced people out there.

Thanks for the help in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I completed Post Graduation and so I have basic idea on programming languages especially C & CPP. When I chosen the language PHP, I purchased a book http://www.amazon.com/PHP-Bible-2nd-Tim-Converse/dp/0764549553 and it help me a lot.

You can find out everything on php.net but for a beginner it is not necessary. And you may stop studying it when you see the long list of functions and most of them are not using always.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.