mysql_connect question

lukerodham

Hi, this is more of a question than asking for help so if its in the wrong section could someone please move.

my question is could you connect to a database by using an array that has been generated from getting contents from a file, for example...

$file_c = file_get_contents("example.txt");
$colms = explode(",",trim($file_c));

mysql_connect("$colms[0]","$colms[1]","$colms[2]") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("$colms[3]") or die(mysql_error());

if not how else would someone go about doing this.

Array variables are no different than any other variable, as long as they contain what you expect.

What sort of problem or error did you have when you tried your code?

Be careful when storing database credentials in a plain text file as anyone who discovers that file or sees it if your server allows directory listings can simply browse to the file and see your database credentials.

Yes of course.  Variables are variables and mysql_connect() simply requires variables to plug into it's parameters when it is called.  It doesn't care one bit whether or not those variables are elements in an array. 

ive just looked at the file where the value is held and there is not whitespace in front of the value and no behind. i do have the comma there that is trimmed but thats it. could there be a problem with the file_get_contents action that i have written?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.