Error message when I attempt to pass variables to another page

drayarms

I want to query a database (search) and pass the desired columns from the search results to another page like so:

<?php

//address error handling

ini_set ('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

//authenticate user
require('auth.php');

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

// Connect to the database.

require_once ('config.php');

//Query the database.
$sql = "SELECT* FROM members INNER JOIN images ON members.member_id = images_member_id WHERE members.ethnicity = '{$_POST['ethnicity']}'";

$query = mysql_query($sql);

if(mysql_num_rows($query) > 0){ while(($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query)) !== false)

{

//Redirect to search results page.

header("Location: search_results.php?friend='.$row['member_id'].'&me='.$_SESSION['id'].' &pic='.$row['image'].'&name='.$row['username'].'");

}

} else { //If no results found.

echo 'No results match this search query.' ;

}

}

?>

I get the following error when i try to run the page (by submitting a form from another page which executes this page):

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/a4993450/public_html/profile_search.php on line 31

The culprit line is this one:

header("Location: search_results.php?friend='.$row['member_id'].'&me='.$_SESSION['id'].' &pic='.$row['image'].'&name='.$row['username'].'");

As you can see, I eliminated all white space between the variables and concatenations, thinking that that was the problem but I keep getting the error message.  I'm at a loss about what to do next.  Any help?

Almost.  Use:

header("Location: search_results.php?friend={$row['member_id']}&me={$_SESSION['id']}&pic={$row['image']}&name={$row['username']}");

Array indices which are strings need to be denoted as such by being placed in quotes.  Array values you want to parse in a double-quoted string need to be placed in curly braces.

Use Nightslyr's suggestion as it's cleaner and easier to read. Your original problem for future reference though, was that you were trying to close and re-open a double-quote string using a single quote:

After trying all your suggestions, I now get this error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/a4993450/public_html/profile_search.php on line 47.  Clearly the query is working but the syntax on the redirect line just isnt right.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.