Union and Order BY

lalnfl

So say I have a union sql statement like this:

(SELECT id, card_id, ordered FROM Match_1 WHERE card_id='$card_id') UNION (SELECT id, card_id, ordered FROM Match_2 WHERE card_id='$card_id') UNION (SELECT id, card_id, ordered FROM Match_3 WHERE card_id='$card_id') ORDER BY ordered ASC

ordered is an INT, but yet when I order the results its like this

11 should obviously be last but it isn't, what am I doing wrong?

So I go back to my original response.  The implication is that there is something you are doing wrong in the code that displays the results.

Could it be because I am using parenthesis around each SELECT part (SELECT id, card_id, ordered FROM Match_1 WHERE card_id='$card_id') UNION (...

After posting a re-looking at the code and then redoing it in the phpmyadmin sql query thing, it doesn't display correctly. And the reason is if I declare more than 2 UNION statements, it messes up the results.

Do you know why it does that?

You could have saved a lot of time if you had actually checked what we suggested you check, rather than taking the short cut and looking at one table of the 3.

What do you mean? Everyone was set at INT, except for one of them, that I accidentally skipped.

You could have saved a lot of time if you had actually checked what we suggested you check, rather than taking the short cut and looking at one table of the 3.

What do you mean? Everyone was set at INT, except for one of them, that I accidentally skipped.

Exactly right.  requinix pointed out that the data types were a concern.  We have mo way of knowing what the data types were, but we assumed that you checked all of them, not one of three.  In the future don't cut corners.  That is the lesson that hopefully you will learn.  Consistency is an important aspect of successful development practices.  It doesn't matter to requinix or myself.  Neither of us would have made the mistake you made.

Exactly right.  requinix pointed out that the data types were a concern.  We have know way of knowing what the data types were, but we assumed that you checked all of them, not one of three.  In the future don't cut corners.  That is the lesson that hopefully you will learn.  Consistency is an important aspect of successful development practices.  It doesn't matter to requinix or myself.  Neither of us would have made the mistake you made.

Well excuse me, didn't know you had to be perfect. lol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.