strtotime calculations inaccurate ...

pepelepew1962

//

I am trying to calculate the number of days between dates and have a major problem.  When I try the example below, it gives me exactly 201 days, yet the dates have different times, meaning that a full day is impossible.  If it matters, I am testing via xampp 1.7.3 with php version 5.3.1 with Windows XP.  Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong.  Can daylight savings play a role?

$frmritedate7116    =    strtotime('2010-12-13 23:00');

$frmritedate7156    =    strtotime('2010-05-27 00:00');

//

$frmritedate7251    =    $frmritedate7156 - $frmritedate7116;

//

//

1274943600-1292310000=-17366400 // 86400 seconds in a day ( 201.00 )

//

//

//

Yes, it's daylight savings that's confusing you. There were 17366400 seconds between those two dates. During that time an hour was repeated. Those 3600 seconds still happened, but on the clock you "lost" an hour.

That's why you shouldn't use seconds to calculate differences to a preciseness of an hour: because your concept of time isn't always how time actually is.

You still can do it, if you really want, but you need to take daylight savings into account by adding or subtracting 3600 seconds to get the kind of values you want: -3600 for each fall DST boundary and +3600 for each spring DST boundary.

Have you tried the dateTime class?

<?php
$datetime1 = new DateTime('2010-12-13 23:00');
$datetime2 = new DateTime('2010-05-27 00:00');
$interval = $datetime2->diff($datetime1);
echo $interval->format('%R%a days %h:%i:%s'); //%a is broken on Windows servers.  You will have to use years, months, and days.
?>

Manual

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.