updating query

sofia403

hi , just wondering if this query is missing something or entered incorrect. I'm trying to update a value in db with a Submit from php. thank you.

$city = $_POST['city'];

if(isset($_POST['Submit'])){

$query=( "INSERT INTO country CITY VALUES '$city'");}

um, well im guessing it will have to be both ? i already have some entry in db, when users log in i just want them to either update existing records or just add a new value in some of the fields. Also i have separate "Update" button for each column.

So if "User1" logs in he already has a n entry in "city" so i want him be able to change that value, while "User2" might not have the city in the db yet.

MySQL version 5.0.81-community-log

Hello, im still trying to find an answer how i can go about creating a query that would update or insert a value based on if an entry already exists or not in a table I'm using the query below, but its not working (not updating nor inserting anything) and i don't get any errors.

i copied this query from the web some place and not quite sure if this is best way to go about it.

So i have ApplicationStatus column where users input (In Process, Withdrawn and so on)and i want the user when he logs into their profile be able to update that field, they might have a value there or they might have it empty, so its either has to be insert or update i guess? can someone please take a look at it, and point me in the right direction. thank you. also i dont know if mysql version is enough or you might need something else here?  I could provide more information if needed. thanks

UPDATE country SET ApplicationStatus='1' WHERE ApplicationStatus=echo ('$ApplicationStatus').
IF @@ROWCOUNT=0 INSERT INTO country VALUES '$_POST[ApplicationStatus]'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.