Next 16 friends, and previous 16 friends mysql query help

shortysbest

I have two button that load the next and previous pages of friends, I'm having trouble doing so, it sort of works, but it's got bugs so it's not right.

Next:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (friend_1='".$id."' OR friend_2='".$id."') AND id>$last_id ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 16");

previous:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (friend_1='".$id."' OR friend_2='".$id."') AND id<$last_id ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 16");

$id = id of the users profile.

$last_id = the last loaded friend id (unique id to friends table , not the friends actual id)

well, assuming you don't want to use the common pagination technique described in the tutorial linked in the first reply, what exactly is the problem? what happens when you click the next/previous button, and what do you expect to happen? Saying it "bugs out" isn't a sufficient description of the problem

Well I've actually got it working pretty good now, however when I use the previous button it goes to the very first 16, not the last 16.

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (friend_1='".$id."' OR friend_2='".$id."') AND id<$last_id ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 16");

The only other problem is one I first load the page it isn't selecting the correct last_id loaded id, but after U click the forward/previous buttons once it fixes that. that's a javascript issue though.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to select the IDS in descending order, then reorder them in ascending order with just MySQL. If there is, I do not know the function or language construct that can do it. But MySQL isn't my strong point, so another poster more experienced in SQL may be able to give better advice

I got a query that does it, however it is only loading a single record at a time :/

$query = mysql_query("SELECT B.* FROM (SELECT A.* FROM friends A WHERE (A.friend_1='".$id."' OR A.friend_2='".$id."') AND A.id<$last_id ORDER BY A.id DESC LIMIT 16) AS B ORDER BY B.id ASC");

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.