Server script not rendered correctly by browser

engineerChris

I am trying to develop a browser interface for an embedded system.  The code written so far consists of one HTML page and one PHP script.  The HTML page creates a form containing a select widget and a submit button.  When the submit button is pressed, the selected item is posted to the PHP script for processing.  The PHP script does a MySQL query using the form data and generates HTML to display the query result in a table, which displays in a new Web page.  All of this works fine.  However...

I need to change the HTML page to create the select widget choices using a the result of a query run when the HTML page gets displayed.  I created a PHP script to do this, and included it in my HTML page in this manner:

<form action="procSomeForm.php" method="post">
    <?php
          include "genSelectList.php";
    ?>
   <input class="main" type="submit" name="submit[view]" value="View" style="width:70px"/>
</form>

When I tried this, the select didn't appear.  I tried moving the <select> </select> out of the PHP script and placing them around the "include".  The select now displayed but with no contents.  After many failed attempts to resolve any errors in the script, I began to suspect that the browser was ignoring the include directive.  I then reduced the problem to this trivial code:

<html>
<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>

<body>
    <?php
        include "tmp.php";
        echo "<p>This message brought to you by PHP!</p>";
    ?>

</body>
</html>

The PHP script looks like this:

<?php
echo "<p>Hello from tmp.php!</p>";
?>

My Web browser rendered the result as:

This message brought to you by PHP!

";?>

The "hello" message in tmp.php wasn't displayed, and the the browser printed the last few characters of the embedded PHP statement as if they were simple text!

I have tried this same experiment on two PCs with the same result.  My development PC runs Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) in VMWare on top of WinXP; I access the Web pages locally from within VMWare using IceWeasel.  My embedded PC also runs Debian 6.0; I access the Web pages  from my WinXP box using Firefox.  Interestingly, when I use IE8 to call up the trivial page from the embedded PC, it displays a blank page!

Sorry for the long-winded setup to the problem, but I wanted to point out that generating a separate HTML page from a PHP script works; it appears that the issue is with putting PHP statements in an HTML page.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Chris

I created a PHP script to do this, and included it in my HTML page in this manner:

<form action="procSomeForm.php" method="post">
    <?php
          include "genSelectList.php";
    ?>
   <input class="main" type="submit" name="submit[view]" value="View" style="width:70px"/>
</form>

Make sure that code is placed within a .php file. PHP code will not run within .html files.

Many thanks, Ken - you got it right!  I renamed my HTML file to .php, removed some boilerplate at the top generated by Bluefish when I created the page, and it now displays correctly.  I even re-enabled the call to the PHP script which generates the select contents, and that works, too!  BTW - I already had tried the method of adding an AddTYpe statement to httpd.conf, but it didn't help.  I'll look into this some more; if I can get this method working,  I'll add my result to this thread.

Thanks again, and to all for the prompt replies!

Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.