Browser Minimizes when a link is clicked

rklockner

I have just finished a migration of a client's software to a new server, and a strange bug started occuring.

When a user opens Internet Explorer, They log into the website, and the browser window immediately disappears.  It is listed in the application bar at the bottom of the screen, but it is not minimized.  The browser has moved behind all other open windows.

When you click on the browser in the application bar at the bottom of the screen, it still acts as though it is the current window.  By that I mean that instead of bringing it to the front, it then minimizes, upon clicking a second time, it is now the current window, and I am free to click another link, just to start the process all over again.

From what I can tell, the issue only occurs in Internet Explorer which is the client's preferred browser (I know... try to get him to change, but let's suppose that isn't possible.).

My fix so far has been to open a second tab in Internet Explorer.  By having the second tab open (doesn't have to be on a webpage), the issue goes away until I close that tab.

Why is this posted in a JavaScript forum?  When I disable Active Scripting from the Tools menu, this bug goes away, but this is not a workable solution either.

Has anyone come across this?  I have done some searches, but haven't come up with much.  Perhaps it is in how I am searching...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

no clue, I've never done Active X stuff, but I'm pretty sure an Active X control is like a java applet but for MS/IE.  Basically it's its own little program that is embedded onto a web page and you don't really have access to the code in it.  It's not really on the page like javascript or html.  Sounds like you will need to talk to whoever made or has access to the Active X object itself.

OK, here we go... Maybe I need to reclassify this in jQuery/AJAX, but if I remove

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

the page does not jump to the back, but obviously my jQuery stops working.

It seems there is a bug in there, but that would be a nightmare to go through.  Any thoughts?

Just so everyone can rest easy tonight...

The problem had to do with a .blur() called within a jQuery function (by removing jQuery it just hid the problem).  It appears to be that if .blur() is called on a non-Object it has funky results...

Aaaah...well I was fixing to make a post but then you responded.  Here is what I originally wrote:

Okay....well I *suppose* it could very well be a problem with javascript on your page then, since jQuery is javascript.  Or it could be that jQuery is being used to load an ActiveX object, and its still the ActiveX object doing something...and removing the jQuery include simply stops it from loading the ActiveX object. 

I'm not sure what you're really hoping to hear, but I'm afraid I'm not really gonna be much help without seeing any relevant code or having access to the page or something.

But I don't think you necessarily need to go through the jquery.min.js file looking for bugs.  If you really think there is a bug in that file, I would first suggest going to the jquery.com forums and looking on http://bugs.jquery.com/report  to see if it (or similar) has been reported. 

If you do not see anything relevant or similar, and still think it is an issue with the source file itself, then open a ticket there, but as with most bug reporting places, they usually expect you to prove it is a bug with the code and not a misuse of the code...because I assure you, saying "The problem stops when I remove the include, so it must be something in the include..." haha no.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.