'like' or promote an answer

JKG

sometimes i see a solution from someone that i really like.

i dont want to interrupt the thread with 'zomg thats awesome' but i would like to show my appreciation or approval.

any way of integrating a 'like post' system?

edit: it would also give the OP more idea of who's suggestion was best, say if some one with relatively small number of posts suggest a good solution, then a moderator could like it, giving the OP confidence in the solution...

another forum that i know of uses a "thank" system, where you can thank a user for a post, and the number of thanks that a user has is displayed.. however i think that CV will start a ramble about how they didn't code the bb forum blah blah..  :P

CV will start a ramble

He does that, quite often.

We've actually been discussing the idea [well, we were. I haven't heard much recently of it] of trying to out a karma-like system, with just positive karma only. The problem in the past was that if somebody didn't like your answer because it was better than theirs or they just wanted to have the OP see their answer they'd just give everyone else negative... so everything ended up being skewed.

another forum that i know of uses a "thank" system, where you can thank a user for a post, and the number of thanks that a user has is displayed.. however i think that CV will start a ramble about how they didn't code the bb forum blah blah..  :P

Just goes to show how much you actually read my tl;dr's or pay attention to what's going on around here...

Yes, we generally try to avoid hacking the software, but we don't mind using established mods that are maintained.  And there are lots of karma/rep type mods out there, and hell, I'm pretty sure SMF actually has one version in its core and we just have it disabled. 

I'm fairly certain most of us want one...it's just that for some unknown reason, many argue that since there is no "perfect" karma/rep system that can't be abused, it's not worth having one in place at all.  There is this "fear" that it will be mercilessly abused and there will be lots of noobies running around with a shitton of karma/rep, vs. lots of seasoned pros with little to no karma, causing random Joe poster to be confused about who to accept advice from.

I'm not in that boat, I do want one in place, despite imperfections.  And I call b.s. on those fears.  Sure, there will be no shortage of instances of people unfairly handing out good and bad rep, but overall, I think it will be okay.  I think people around here have trouble with the notion of looking at things from a "trend" perspective vs. "absolute" perspective.  But hey, I'm just one person, and I respect the notion of "majority rules".

Yes, we generally try to avoid hacking the software,

my point exactly, i do pay attention.

which is why, instead of attaching rep to a user, i think you can just like a post, and it have no attachment to the user...

Sounds good on paper, but in reality would not work.  We all have egos.  We all want to know how many of our posts were "liked" and how much they were liked.  And we all want the rest of the world to know how awesome we are.  And I'm not saying any of this in a bad way - getting recognition for the help you give out around here isn't a bad thing.  These are all the reasons why we (or anybody in general) likes karma systems. 

People just want to make sure that every single little point award to every single person is absolutely 100% accurate, because heaven forbid some jackass gets awarded a point you rightfully deserved, or some jackass downvotes you "unfairly".  And I'm not trying to justify those "baddie" instances... just sayin', people have a tendency to focus on the negative aspects of shit (even if there is no physical negative rep).  Someone can have 10k rep and fuck all if some twat took away 1 point, image shattered, end of the fucking world sort of thing. 

So it's either perfect system or nothing.  And since a perfect system is not possible, we get nothing. 

There is this "fear" that it will be mercilessly abused...

Of course it will be mercilessly abused, you really think CV made 12k+ posts??? Admins have DB-power, and they are not afraid to use it..

Hey now... I have not altered my post count at all, my count is legit...though now that I think about it, not all of the posts may actually be available, do to forum crashes/migrations over the years :/  Now...as to whether they are all high quality, helpful posts or not.... lol :P

What about a restriction imposed system? Likes can only be given out by the OP ( rather than "likes" it would be a "best answer" or "more helpful" sort of thing ). And only active and "old" members can dish these out. Like users that have been registered more than 1 month and have more than 50 posts ( just random numbers ). although this would probably have to be coded from scratch to tailor to the specific requirements.

These are all neat ideas and all, but unless someone codes this modification, it's not gonna happen.  Not to mention, we the staff must approve it.

I also doubt SMF is gonna adapt anything more than their current karma system anytime soon.

If you feel you can create the mod, then make it and submit it to SMF.  Though I must warn you, just from past experience doing so, that SMF is STRICT. 

I wouldnt like to create a mod for SMF as a whole, there would be alot of do's and don'ts and i dont fancy reading there guidelines and best practices guides to mods. However I would create a PhpFreaks specific mod. Ive made a few for another forum ( albeit a PhpBB forum ) .

Heck even if no one is interested I may make it anyway just to delve into SMF's code.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with thorpe. There really isn't any point in creating a post just to basically say "yeah what that guy said". You should only post if you have an alternative solution to someones problem or a better method. Or in some cases to elaborate more where the original solution may be lacking as such.

I agree with thorpe. There really isn't any point in creating a post just to basically say "yeah what that guy said". You should only post if you have an alternative solution to someones problem or a better method. Or in some cases to elaborate more where the original solution may be lacking as such.

Isn't this in the Forum Posting 101 manual classified under "Common Sense"  ?

@premiso i just wanted to clarify because there seems no way to be able to reward people for coming up with nice solutions. there are tonnes of ways to do things, but there are always better and worse ways. when a few suggestions are presented, i was wondering if there was anyway to put weight behind one suggestion or another. thats why i started this thread...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.