Encrypt variable is url so I can see it but nobody else

sjjs1985

how can I encrypt this name so that I can track what they do but if I was hacked nobody else could determine who the user was

I also don't really get the point. if you'll be encrypting simple english names, even though md5 hashes are one-way, it's actually pretty easy to crack them. A name like 'Tom' can be cracked in a few seconds simply by brute force and letter combinations. Also, most common english names already exist in most brute-force dictionaries.

how can I encrypt this name so that I can track what they do but if I was hacked nobody else could determine who the user was?

imagine you add another code (salt) to the name before generating the md5 hash... Then how do you track them? You'll either need to store the hash corresponding to each user in a database, or every time you need to find out who is who, you'll need to brute-force your own database to figure it out... This will consume quite a few resources (depending on how many users/traffic you have) so I guess you'll be storing the hash along with each username. now if you get hacked (like you say above) chances are your database will be compromised and the hacker will not only have access to the usernames, but also the corresponding hashes. Again, I don't see the point.

I'm assuming youhave the usernames in a database, and that each user has a unique id... why not just use that? you can add a weird hash in the middle for misdirection or something, and even split the user's unique id in 2 just to make it a little bit harder...

imagine the user id is 1234 and the hash is b5505263bce3830e4fc57ef8187f77c2

you could split the user id into parts: 12b5505263bce3830e4fc57ef8187f77c234 so you know the first and last characters are your user's id, you could split it into four parts, three parts, drop it in the middle somewhere, etc... It will be easy for you to grab it, and it wont make much sense to an average user. (Still, a hacker will probably figure it out)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.