Query multiple MySQL tables is not working.

00stuff

Hi guys, I'm trying to query two tables for different data and echo the results that match both tables. Here are the tables I have and the query I'm trying to run.

(Table)

qc_reports

(Fields)

id

report_date

report_lot_number

report_po

report_supplier

report_buyer

report_inspectedby

report_pulptemprange

report_carrierconditions

report_supplierclaim

report_carrierclaim

report_temprecorder

report_temprange_N

report_temprange_M

report_temprange_B

report_suppliercontact

report_contactedby

report_time

report_comments

(Table)

qc_lots

(Fields)

id

report_id

lot_temprange

lot_commodity

lot_rpcs

lot_brand

lot_terms

lot_cases

lot_orgn

lot_estnum

lot_avgnum

This is the query that I'm trying to do.

<?php
$sql = "SELECT * FROM qc_reports, qc_lots WHERE  ";
	if (!empty($start_date) and !empty($end_date)) $sql .= " qc_reports.report_date BETWEEN '$start_date' and '$end_date' AND ";
	if (!empty($search_fronteralot)) $sql .= " qc_reports.report_lot_number = '$search_fronteralot' AND ";
	if (!empty($search_buyer)) $sql .= " qc_reports.report_buyer = '$search_buyer' AND ";
	if (!empty($search_supplier)) $sql .= " qc_reports.report_supplier = '$search_supplier' AND ";
	if (!empty($search_po)) $sql .= " qc_reports.report_po = '$search_po' AND ";
	if (!empty($search_carrierconditions) and $search_carrierconditions != 'all') $sql .= " qc_reports.report_carrierconditions = '$search_carrierconditions' AND ";
	 if (!empty($search_commodity) and $search_commodity != 'all') $sql .= " qc_lots.lot_commodity = '$search_commodity' AND ";
	if (!empty($search_inspectedby)) $sql .= " qc_reports.report_inspectedby = '$search_inspectedby' AND ";

$sql = substr($sql, 0, -4);

$query = mysql_query($sql);

$numrows = mysql_num_rows($query);
?>
RESULTS - <?php echo $numrows; ?>
<hr>
	<table width='500'><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td><b>Lot Number</b></td><td><b>PO</b></td><td> </td></tr>
	<tr>
	<td> </td>
	</tr>
<?php
	while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query))
{
	$id = stripslashes($row['id']);
	$report_lot_number = stripslashes($row['report_lot_number']);
	$report_po = stripslashes($row['report_po']);
	$report_date = stripslashes($row['report_date']);

echo "<tr>
		<td>" . $report_date . "</td></td><td>" . $report_lot_number . "</td><td>" . $report_po . "</td><td><a href='view_report.php?id=" . $id . "'>View</a></td>
	</tr>";	
}
	echo '</table><br><br><br><hr><br><br>';

}

?>

All the variables are passed from a HTML form with $_POST. I need the search to work like this: If there is a value in a form field then the query gets appended with that value but when it gets to the $search_commodity it needs to search the second table (qc_lots) and check for the results. Any results that match have to be matched to the results from the first table (qc_reports) and display (echo) only qc_reports that match to both tables. The only common field is the report_id on the qc_lots table and the id on the qc_reports table.

I'm stuck and need some guidance. Can someone help please?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.