Keeping two db's in sync?

subnet_rx

I'm updating my database with a set of data from another database.  When there is an item deleted from the source db, how would I make sure it's deleted from the db copy given that I have to run the update in a batch and can't run it when the item is deleted?  Would I truncate the db at the beginning of each update, then pull all the of data over?   

Hmm,

The only reason it would be entirely necessary would be if you were running clusters of servers, like Facebook or eBay, pretty much any larger database driven website where copies are needed for load balancing...

One copy is sufficient for most tasks.

Just backup your db and store it in another location.

This is not really a backup.  I need a subset of information from a larger database.  The larger database cannot be accessed remotely.  So, I'm basically getting it to put out a xml feed of the subset of information (that is safe to be public) to then pull into my own local db.  If there are other solutions given the restrictions, I'm up for other solutions because my current system is not going to perform very well for large datasets.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.